Saturday 5 April 2014

Day 3: Sporle to Harpley Dams

Weather: Partly sunny and warm, strong following wind
Distance covered today: 20.0 km (12.4 mi)
Last night's B&B: Corfield House
% Complete: Cumulative distance: 39.1 %: 63.3km
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 3 (click!)

You may have noticed the absence of an apostrophe in “Peddars Way”.  This is not a grammatical error; it seems that there is nothing possessive about Peddars. There is an argument that Peddars Way is simply a tautology: “Peddars” may mean nothing else than “footpath”! Certainly, the derivation may be related to “pedester”, the Latin word for someone who walks (i.e. me!). Indeed the origin of the Way is something of a mystery, but although it was a Roman Road, it seems to have predated the Romans and was part of a path, known as the “Greater Ridgeway”, which runs from Lyme Regis on the South West Coast to Hunstanton on The Wash. This would have been very much earlier and relates to the original tribes who occupied and fought over the lush lands of southern England: think Stonehenge and its ilk.

Specifically though, as you now know, the Way itself starts near Thetford, and I learned from my taxi driver on my way to the start, something that changed my comprehension of history. Thetford was the location of Boudicca’s palace, and as you also know, she was the scourge of the Romans. (I used to know her as Boadicea. I have no idea why she changed her name? Women do that!) Her husband who had tried to get along with them, died, and they cut up rough and did nasty things to the Iceni tribes whom he had ruled. She objected strenuously, beat the Romans up locally and then invaded London, as one does. Unfortunately, a wily Roman general called Suetonius had her number and rather nastily defeated her.

Now I have always assumed that my wife, Veronica is a direct maternal descendant of Boudicca. It runs directly through the maternal line.  She looks like her, acts like her and takes just as few prisoners. She is also handy on a horse! She takes no nonsense from men. She isn’t into politics. Direct action is her way. The fit is perfect, but my taxi driver ruined it for me! He told me that when Suetonius was about to do her in, she poisoned both of her daughters so that they wouldn’t fall foul of his evil intentions.  Now, I can imagine many occasions in which Veronica would gleefully have poisoned her daughters, especially when they were waging Boudicca-like war on each other, but if Boudicca’s daughters didn’t survive, my maternal lineage argument seems a trifle flawed….

So much for history.  Things fell apart a bit today, mostly my own fault! When I took the first photo of the day, I realised that I had left the memory card in my netbook back at the B&B. The last time I made that mistake was June 2011, when I was climbing to the highest point on the Pennine Way and I swore never to make the same mistake again.  Today, I was about 3km (2mi) from the B&B, which is tricky territory. It’s possible to go back, but it’ll add at least an hour to the day. Is it worth it?  This time though, I had my smartphone as back-up and decided that would have do.

In the event it was a poor decision! There are no villages between Sporle and the North Sea at Hunstanton, 42km (26mi) away.  Accordingly, I had an agreement with my host at the B&B to collect me half-way along the route, take me back to the B&B and deliver me back to the halfway point tomorrow morning. I arranged to call him when I arrived, but in the event I got there much earlier than he had anticipated, and there was no reply when I called!  I spent an hour reclining on my back on the grass in the middle of a traffic island, listening to Davis Cup tennis on my radio and acknowledging the cheery hoots of passing motorcyclists and the odd lorry!  I could usefully have used that time to return to the B&B earlier in the morning to collect my memory chip after all!

So what! There is something very satisfying about lying down face up in the grass on a warm spring day, after a 20km (13m) hike, especially after a very wet and internally focussed winter! Veronica would probably argue that I should try acting my age!  Boudicca would have agreed!

What it looks like if one doesn't remove the flints

A finger post with a difference!

A dandelion flower. A farmer approached me from behind as I took this shot. He put his head back and roared with laughter! He asked me whether I had ever seen one of them before? I said I had never taken a picture that did them justice....

Old Henery 8 has an enormous amount to answer for. These are the ruins of the Cluniac Priory at Castle Acre

The River Nar, an example of one of those beautifully clear chalk streams that I have always loved in Norfolk 

Another picture of the Priory

And yet another. What a magnificent palace!  Those guys must have had a lot of influence. I learned that Norfolk went Christian in the second century AD. Incredible!!

The Church of England survived rather better, at least until now! Who knows what the modern heathens will do?

The beautiful village of Castle Acre

And Castle Acre's castle with its impressive moat

So now it's a straight 40km run on a Roman Road to Hunstanton. Not much to see except mechanised and industrial agriculture on all sides. Even the birds are diminishing!

Acres of agriculture, but still it is not the mid-west or the Orange Free State

And a straight Roman Road to the North

8 comments:

  1. From my good friend Nicky:
    "Hello Peddar walker,
    Sorry to be a technical gonk, but how do I answer you back?? I have got as far as receiving your steps of progress and love the elegant b&b, Myrtle, what a name, but you mustn't say she is lovely ... for 56 years old. I considered the pic in the church for a while of the dead getting out of their coffins to answer a call. Of nature, or were they off to heaven, or a skype call.
    much love
    Nicky xx"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nicky, so I am assuming a gonk is the opposite of a geek? My problem is that I know nothing of the enemy, Apple! I suspect Google keeps them out on purpose! Not to worry, though. Your trusty geek will make sure that your heretical utterances do not remain silent!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating... better than any guide book. I think that National Trails should make you an honorary 'Pedester'.
    Interesting to see in the ruins how many arches have survived the ravages of time. I read about arches and their architectural development in Ken Follet's book Pillars of the Earth. Perhaps not an appropriate technical reference -- but there it is. We glean knowledge where we find it! At Great Zimbabwe, they used long slabs of basalt as lintels over the openings / doorways in the dry stone granite walls, and many have survived. But they were fortunate to find these suitable basalt slabs in a nearby change in the geology. Arches were not used - Great Zimbabwe is dated ± 500 to 1000 years ago. I tried to put in a picture, but ..... mmm .. techno-glitch!
    Industrial farming: if even the birds of the field (as they are called in the bible) have deserted the crop lands, then how good can this food be for us?
    And finally, I await a posting from Boudicca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am waiting for the posting, with a little trepidation, it has to be said!

      Delete
    2. Indeed - as you say, Boudicca never took prisoners!
      Woad be the peddar, whose mouth outrun his foot.

      Delete
  3. ,
    Yet again you've picked the best place in the country for walking (wheezing air pollution aside). We resent seeing those glorious blue skies, and the idyllic River Nar. ( I wonder whether this unusual name for a river means something in Norfolk dialect, or was simply an earlier peasant's response to a mediaeval Peddars Way pilgrim asking if it was safe to cross on foot... Sorry.)
    As you know I'm a big synchronicity fan, so love the fact that Henry 8th gets a mention today, since just last night I was fine tuning a piece on his predecessor the 7th, and a local Welsh link to the origins of the Tudor dynasty.
    Incidentally where are all those Suffolk/Norfolk wildflowers? Or daffs? Surely you can do better than a dandelion? Or have they all been blitzed by the inevitable agro chemicals in this intensive agricultural scene? ( Nothing changes, eh?)
    We await future images and prose, satellite issues permitting!
    BW
    GH
    Am having to post this as anonymous 'cos of yet more issues with Google and WP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, so delighted to hear from you! I was sure you would react to the industrial agriculture comment! Red rags and bulls! Perhaps I am a bit early, but certainly the flowers are disappointing compared to Surrey, but indeed the agriculture may be a factor!

      Delete
  4. Dearest Nicky. I have just been warned off doing something with my entry, by Kevin, 'cos he thought I might s...it up. So things remain as they are.
    Dearest Kevin :-) Women do frequently change their name, :-), but do men change theirs as often, girls? NO! Just imagine if I asked you to depart from Chomse and take on my maiden name. Frying pan to the fire aside, I simply can't imagine you doing it! You even bemoan the loss of your eldest's impending loss of her surname! Besides, Boadicea, I am pretty sure, was the Roman version of her name. She kept her original name, sensible woman. Less hassle, less confusion, recommendation - don't change.
    As for my darling daughters, I declare I never wanted them dead! (And poison would have been far to quick and easy anyway!!) They are wonderful girls, - now! (Thank goodness they never read this bit....)
    Boudicca

    ReplyDelete