Thursday 3 April 2014

Day 1: Knettishall Heath to Thompson

Weather: Partly cloudy and warm
Distance covered today:18.8 km (11.7 mi)
Last night's B&B: Wereham House
% Complete: Cumulative distance: 11.9 %: 18.8 km
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 1 (click!)

Open country at last! Fresh air and distant horizons! Well, not quite. This is not exactly news, but it is surprising to me that way up here at the top of Suffolk, I’m still in the Big Smoke! Reacting to criticism, the Met Office sent out a slightly defensive message earlier saying that the smog was as bad in practice today as they had predicted, and for this region in particular, they were predicting an Orwellian 10 on a scale of 0 to 10! Apparently, sandstorms in the Sahara are partly to blame; the same sandstorms that fertilise the Atlantic fisheries and the Amazon Rain Forest.

Africa is not the only culprit. The unseasonal South Easterlies are blowing all that European smog our way as well. Not only are all those EU migrants bearing down on us from across the Channel, but now we have to put up with their pollution as well! I was listening with half an ear to the debate between Nick and Nigel last evening, and couldn’t believe afterwards that the polls show Farage to have won the debate 2 to 1!  How on earth can a right-wing, populist isolationist command such support in this sophisticated and blessedly liberal country? Of course as a foreign migrant myself, you might expect me to take this view, but it is still remarkable that the anti-European feeling is as strong as it is at present.

Though last night, as I wandered the streets of ancient Thetford, I was given pause for thought. As I expected, the streets were busy with young people, going in and out of bars and clubs, loitering on street corners and joshing each other. What really surprised me is that I heard not one word of English. I’ve come to expect this sort of thing in that cosmopolitan foreign country called London, but Thetford?!! I went into a pub for supper, and apart from a few earnest military types from one of the numerous military camps in the area, almost all the clientele was foreign; certainly everyone working there. Afterwards, I was idly searching for a convenience store to buy a sandwich for lunch today, and the only place I could find called itself a “European Supermarket”. I went inside, and the only products I could see came from Eastern Europe. There was nothing fresh. I couldn’t read the labels.

On my previous walks, I found that market towns of the size and character of Thetford had substantially retained their quintessentially English character. Although, there were foreigners around, sometimes many of them, they were essentially trying to adapt and integrate. Like me (!), they were trying to be more English than the English.  The problem emerges when the mass of people becomes so substantial that it overwhelms the local culture and there is no need to assimilate.  Combine this with the predictable effects on local infrastructure, job opportunities and remuneration standards, and it is unsurprising that the reaction is so strong.

The question remains; why is this such an English problem? After all, the East to West and South to North migrations are common to all of North West Europe. I think the answer is twofold, and the first goes to the slightly two-faced, but entirely endearing character of the English Gentleperson (if you’ll forgive the massive generalisation). The English are, in general, positively delightful to foreigners! Their good manners make the foreigner feel at home. In all the many countries in which I have lived, I have never seen such cordial welcome. The English may be seething with antagonism inside, but it remains exceedingly poor form to show it! Even the Americans, immigrants themselves in the land of the free, are nastier to their foreigners (though, surprisingly, not to their erstwhile colonial masters!). Try being Turkish in Germany, Indonesian in Holland or Zimbabwean in South Africa.  No wonder the Eastern Europeans queue up to come here!  If only they knew what the English really think!

The other problem is of course the darker issue of previous waves of immigration to the UK.  I read an article in the Economist recently which drew a distinction between the success of various communities where Caribbean, African and South Asian communities had successfully integrated into English society and those that hadn’t. In the first case, these upwardly aspirant incomers had very visibly enhanced the general welfare of local communities, culminating in successful inter-racial mixing, cultural sharing and economic success. On the other hand there exist communities where the sheer mass of incomers was so overwhelming that the locals who could, simply left. No effort was made by the immigrants even to learn to speak English. These communities can’t compete economically, many of their cultural mores offend English tastes, and sometimes English laws, and much of the youth are disaffected and resentful. English right-wing tabloids rejoice in bringing every transgression to common knowledge. A substantial majority of the English population doesn't want this to happen again. Hence their antagonism to the latest wave. 

A substantial irony is that many Scots, for slightly different reasons, feel the same about the English! But that is another story!

In the event, even as I set out this morning against the advice of the Surgeon General, having suffered my own myocardial infarction in 1994, I found that the threatened pollution didn’t seem to exist! The wind was from the East, and the sky was clear, if partly cloudy. I bounced along in a paroxysm of delight to be out on another adventure! I have the distinct feeling that the National Trails have been designed for my very own personal enjoyment. I saw one young lady out on a short walk with her dog, and she shyly acknowledged my presence. Apart from that I had the trail entirely to myself. Admittedly, today’s walk was undoubtedly the most scenically boring of any walk that I have done in all my experience of this magical country. But I knew that before I started, and it altered my exhilaration not a jot.

It may though have inspired this boring and trivially obvious political tirade. The English will be holding their noses!
The start of Peddars Way: Trepidation mixed with excitement!

English humour! (the sign originally would have said "Permit Holders"!)



Huge East Anglian monsters! This fellow was guzzling soil with its many flintstones, separating the soil from the stones, placing the clean soil on top and the stones in the deep ditches. Ingenious!

East Anglia is the driest and flattest part of Britain, and the most intensively cultivated. Impressive vistas, but not much going on! 

Sheik Al Maktoum's Riddlesworth Stud; said to be the most lavish in Europe! Of course, one couldn't see the stud itself...

Huge development in open country. The modern story of England.

A gentleman's path along the River Thet

Blackthorn may be poisonous, but the flowers are incredibly beautiful.

Forget about atmospheric pollution; I had these fellows for company! Where is Tom Archer when you need him?

Crossing the A11 from London to Norwich. Care required; these guys are moving!

A black and a white lamb for Phyllis!

I know the feeling!

East Anglia may be unlike any of my other walks, but some things stay the same! The smile of the postie in her little red van is ubiquitous! I love her!

Only in England!! No speed restriction on this national trail! Run if you want to!!

Another ubiquitous feature: yet another railway demolished by Lord Beeching in 1964. He got around....

Flintstone Houses and spring flowers in Norfolk

These beech trees have elephant feet!

The military is everywhere; just like Scotland

Spring is breaking out everywhere. Exquisite new leaves

The smallest pony field I have ever seen!

Tiny village, huge church; another ubiquitous feature of England. This one was right next to my B&B

8 comments:

  1. Just testing the system old friend. Delighted to hear your happy upbeat tone again; it does seem as if the National Trails are there for your own personal enjoyment!

    Those are huge pigs, or hogs as the Americans like to call them. The one in the middle looks the size of a large cow! It gives new meaning to the phrase "bringing home the bacon". Can you find out the purpose of separating the stones from the soil? Just curious; and are there any negative impacts?

    Immigrants -- as an immigrant, or non-indigenous citizen more precisely, I am quite in favour of immigration and immigrants. But then I have never been a member of the 'permanent' local community, and in fact I do not belong to any such community anywhere.So I do not know what it is like. Certainly I perceive that it is very different to be born and raised and to live in your own indigenous community and to be bound by social traditions that extend deep back into the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Delighted the problem resolved itself! With respect to the stones, I did want to ask the tractor driver what he was doing, but he wasn't stopping! Unlike tranquil Cornwall where every farmer was glad of company, here in East Anglia, industrialised farming means that time is money and these huge beasts have to be kept working. I can only imagine that getting rid of the stones, (or more precisely, burying them at depth) means that they don't interfere with and damage the other machines that will plant, plough and otherwise fiddle with the soil. Just a guess!

      Delete
    2. This also from my good friend Chris by text "K, no time 2 set up 2 log on 2 yr blog... but... just been on friend's 2,200 acre farm in Notts, n Tim very proud his new de-stoner. Makes lifting spuds n carrots much easier, as no need 2 separate stones from crop. Stay safe, C"

      Delete
  2. Against my better judgement I have to say this is a delightful start - even the rant is halfway acceptable, at least to a tolerant Englishman! A splendid range of observation, a few facts, and some interesting discussion. You surpass yourself - must be all this time at home since the last venture.
    As regards the migration issue, I am all for it, as it keeps the country economically and productively young, and the cosmopolitan effect is an interesting experiment/research towards my long promoted "Global Citizen". I do hope all this right wing extremist nonsense doesnt derail it. But on the other hand, tho a genuine native (the village Flawith is evidence of at least a 1000 years since our raping and pillaging days as young Vikings), I have elected to escape to the joys (and horrors) of a life in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from ancient Crete! It seems to me the world is divided between those who have moved and lived internationally, who are happy about migration, and those who have stayed put, who in general would prefer foreigners to stay where they are!

      Delete
  3. The following received by email from our good friend Rosie, who is having difficulty commenting on the blog.

    "Hi Kevin,

    Good to see you are out and about and yet again the weather is being very kind to you!

    I was born in Norwich and know the area fairly well. After the war my Father joined the police force and reasoned that he would be spending a lot of time outdoors so picked the driest county!!

    I read your comments on immigration with interest. Have you not forgotten to mention the 'elephant in the room'?! Benefits: far too easy to obtain for local/English people and the immigrants. In 35 years in Crawley, running a Veterinary Practice, Richard had many,many people ask for free or heavily subsidised treatment for their animals as they were on benefit. NOT once did anyone offer to weed the car park in exchange for a Consultation.
    If I was living anywhere in the world with poor or very little housing , healthcare and education and i could get to another country who would provide these things for myself and/or my family i think i would be camping out in Calais trying to sneak into a lorry.

    UKIP does have some appeal right now-----------though I fear it is too late to stop the inevitable change that is going on in the UK.

    Take care Kevin and ENJOY
    Love
    Rosie"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your transparent joy at being out on another hefty walk does leave me with one or two mixed feelings!!! I think the predominant one is to share it with you....!!!! I'm pleased the weather looks good for you for the next couple of days, with a rapidly improving 'smog' level. By the way, the 3rd factor in the smog was our own (largely London's), not just Europe's and Saharan sand. No rain 'til Sunday.
    Interesting, that blue brick used in the 'bridge without a top' as we used to call ours. I suspect there wasn't much in the way of rock to use for such hungry building (only flint-stones) so the Victorians would have needed to make/import to the area such bricks as were needed.
    The tiny pony-field is there with good reason. The pony is very likely to be a sufferer of 'Laminitis', a very painful foot affliction affecting some poor equines. The inside of the hooves become so painful and can be deformed, that the animal does not enjoy standing on them. It comes from the sugar content in grass, especially in Spring or after fertilizing pastures. Treatment primarily requires removal from such pasture as a preventative and curative measure and careful feeding of low sugar forage, with gentle exercise. He looks like he is being 'managed' to prevent its occurrence.
    Did you find your sandwiches in the end?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did! And I should have known you would have been all over the pony! Only you could diagnose his condition and treatment from a single photo!

      Delete